Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Common Ground

This is the first play I have ever tried to write. Though it is short, yes, I do hope you will enjoy it!

Comments are always appreciated. :-D



CHARACTERS

KYLE –– 23, mental patient, diagnosed with schizophrenia, male.

MARIA –– 22, a woman in much distress, diagnosed with manic-depressive bipolarity.

DR. HANNELORE –– 37, psychiatrist, tries to be a nice guy.

VICTORIA –– 25, nurse, the kind of person who would give away all the money to charity if she won the lottery

TIME

The Present

PLACE

Reception Area of Dr. Hannelore’s Place of Business

Waiting Room to see Dr. Hannelore

Dr. Hannelore’s Office


Common Ground


(AT RISE, the audience sees a double set of rooms. The room on stage left is dark, but an outline is visible. It appears to be a psychiatrist’s room, complete with a plush couch and diplomas lining the far wall. The lighted room is a waiting room––the walls are even painted a comforting shade of blue. KYLE is sitting in a chair against the far wall––he is sweating visibly, and one foot is bouncing up and down while he tries to force it to stay down with his hands. There are magazines on a bookshelf along the next wall, ranging in colors from white to black. It is high noon in the hospital, but the world seems quiet except for KYLE’s incessant foot tapping.)

KYLE

(HE succeeds in stopping his leg from bouncing, and begins to ponder something.)

Did you know that black holes form from hatred, and are made of hate, and exude hate?

(HE pauses.)

Does it really? What’s the target of the hate, though? Every bit of hatred must have a target!

(Stands, and begins pacing.)

Why? I always thought you could just feel animosity in general. Can’t you just say, “I hate,” and leave it at that?

(Turns, and walks the other way.)

No. Not effectively. I believe it is a requirement that such things have a direct object as a target.

(Stops in front of bookshelves.)

What if it was your job to hate, and someone asks, “What do you do?” You’d say, “I hate,” wouldn’t you? It would make perfect sense!

(HE begins looking through magazines––picking them up and placing them back after examining the covers.)

Well, I don’t know. It seems kind of reaching––like ellipses compared to periods. While the ellipsis is in threes, and symbolizes a trailing of thought, the period is only in ones. And, being in ones, it shows an absolute end to whatever thought was expressed––no trailing at all.

(HE pulls out a copy of a psychology magazine, and begins flipping through it.)

How does that even come close to correlating to black holes of hatred?

(HE sighs.)

I swear, don’t you know anything? You’re saying that while “I do” or “I love” are correct, so is “I hate.” I’m saying that while “I love” would be correct, “I hate” would not. The simple of the matter is the double period! That’s what “I hate” would be. It’s halfway between the two!

(HE throws the magazine onto the floor, and resumes pacing.)

You’re being absurd again. What have I told you about being absurd? It’s not good. Try to stay calm––calm is good!

VICTORIA

(Entering from stage right, speaking to MARIA, who also enters.)

… and this is the waiting room. Doctor Hannelor will call you in a moment.

(SHE looks around the room and sees the magazine on the floor. SHE picks it up and places it back in its original place on the shelf. Then, SHE looks at KYLE.)

Is there anything I can help you with, sir?

KYLE

Why yes, there is, in fact!

(HE rolls his eyes)

Don’t tell her that, you dolt! She’ll laugh at us!

(Grinning.)

See, Ms. Victoria, we have this dilemma. There’s an ellipsis, right? Symbol of three asterisks, dashes, or dots, and then there’s a period––represented by only a single dot, and nothing else. Problem is: would a double period be a valid point of argumentation?

VICTORIA

I… don’t understand the question.

MARIA

(SHE smiles widely, and rubs HER hands together nervously.)

It’s simple, really! I once spent a day contemplating just the same thought!

KYLE

Oh?

MARIA

(Blurting.)

It’s all a matter of how you look at it. From a grammatical standpoint, you can see why it would be right! A double period would be halfway between the two, and would represent the trailing end to a complete thought!

(SHE nudges VICTORIA.)

Right?

VICTORIA

Well, I don’t know. I suppose in a metaphorical sense, it could be true, but I’m not so sure about grammatically. I know for certain the grammar check program on my computer thinks it’s wrong.

(SHE looks at her wristwatch.)

I’m afraid I must be off. Excuse me.

(Exits stage right.)

MARIA

(Crosses to sit in KYLE’s seat.)

Hello. Good to know I won’t be alone in the waiting room––I usually am, you see, on such occasions as this. My name’s Maria.

KYLE

(HE sits in the chair stage right of MARIA, and stares deliberately at his feet.)

I’m Kyle. And you’re in the spot where I usually sit.

(HE grins, HIS head turning sharply away from MARIA.)

Shut it, will you? She’s nice, smart, and pretty. Suck it up! You can live in the seat over. It’s not like you’re obsessive compulsive! Just a Schizo, that’s all you are. And, you know what? You’ll never get rid of me.

MARIA

(Interrupting, tapping HER fingers on HER knee.)

I’m bipolar! They’re kinda similar, aren’t they? Bipolarity and schizophrenia… I mean, both have to do with having two sides, right? The only reason they’re any different at all is that one involves having two distinct thought-people, and one has just a lot of mood swings!

KYLE

(HE ponders for a moment.)

I’d have to agree, though I haven’t met many bipolars. Being locked up for several years does have its downsides, besides the terrible food.

(Speaks over himself.)

But the food is good!

MARIA

(Calms down. Stops tapping HER fingers.)

I have no doubt that the food here isn’t too bad. At least it’s food, right?

(Pauses, contemplating something, before SHE pulls out a pen and a sticky-note. SHE writes something on it.)

If you ever get out of here, give me a call.

(SHE hands KYLE the note.)

KYLE

(Takes note, hesitantly.)

What makes you think I ever will?

MARIA

(SHE smiles.)

Because you aren’t really schizophrenic.

DR. HANNELORE

(Enters stage left.)

Maria? I’d like to see you now.

(Exits stage left, with MARIA following.)

((The lights switch off in the waiting room, and new ones turn on in the office.))

MARIA

(Sits on a plush footrest-chair.)

Thank you for seeing me on such short notice.

DR. HANNELORE

(Sits on desk.)

Ah, don’t mention it. What seems to be the problem?

MARIA

(Looks down, suddenly sullen.)

My mother died three days ago.

DR. HANNELORE

(HIS face shows HE is surprised, for a moment, before HE returns his expression to a neutral.)

Do you want to talk about it?

MARIA

(Shakes head.)

She… died.

(SHE lifts HER feet onto the chair, and hugs HER knees.)

Not even the meds help.

DR. HANNELORE

(Gets off desk, moves to sit next to MARIA.)

I’m sorry for your loss, Maria. But perhaps we can do something about those meds, so you can keep functioning properly in society.

MARIA

Mmm. Thanks.

DR. HANNELORE

(Smiles.)

Do you have your meds on you?

MARIA

Mmhmm. Why?

DR. HANNELORE

Double your dosage temporarily. I’ll fill in a new prescription, in the meantime. It should be ready to be picked up tomorrow sometime.

MARIA

(Takes pills out of HER pocket, opens container, takes two out and swallows them)

‘Kay. Thanks.

(SHE stands, and walks towards the waiting room door.)

DR. HANNELORE

(Also rises. HE follows MARIA out to the waiting room, and passes through to exit stage right.)

((Once again, the lights switch. This time, the waiting room is visible.))

MARIA

(Walks over to KYLE, who has not moved since SHE left. HER excited mood seems to have returned, as SHE lifts her head and smiles.)

Have you thought about it at all?

KYLE

(Looks up at HER from where HE is sitting.)

Why would I go? They’re all out to get me. It doesn’t matter if I’m in here or out there, someone’s still after me, but here I know who’s coming for me. Out there? No.

MARIA

(SHE sits in KYLE’s usual seat, again.)

Because––out there––I can help you. In here, you’re alone.

KYLE

How do I know you aren’t with them?

MARIA

(Grinning.)

Because I’m a patient here, too. Would a patient be in league with a doctor?

KYLE

(Nods, as if understanding.)

True, true. I suppose it’s worth a try, huh? If I ever get out, I’ll be sure to call.

MARIA

(Side-hugs HIM, smiling widely.)

Well, I’d better be off, now! Thanks for everything!

(SHE stands, and exits stage right.)

DR. HANNELORE

(Enters stage right as MARIA exits.)

Well, it’s just us, now, Kyle.

(HE motions towards the office door.)

Shall we?

(HE opens the office door, and enters with KYLE.)

((Once again, the lights switch.))

KYLE

(Rubs hands nervously together, sits on the chair.)

There’s something I need to tell you, Dr. Hannelore. I haven’t been entirely honest with you, you see.

DR. HANNELORE

(Sits on desk again.)

Do go on.

KYLE

I’m not really schizophrenic.

DR. HANNELORE

(Rolls eyes.)

I’ve heard this one before, many a time.

KYLE

No, really… I just have a hard time trusting people… So I figured it would be easiest to live in an institution, where I wouldn’t have to try.

(He pauses.)

I’m paranoid, yes, but not schizophrenic.

DR. HANNELORE

And do you have any proof to back this up?

KYLE

How often did I lapse into an alternate personality? Once or twice every time I spoke, right?

DR. HANNELORE

Indeed.

KYLE

(Smiles.)

I haven’t spoken in one since the first conversation I had with Maria, this afternoon.

DR. HANNELORE

(A puzzled expression crosses his face.)

Are you sure it’s not the other one just being quiet?

KYLE

You’re trying to trick me, aren’t you? If I answered, “yes,” like you’d expect me to, it would be acknowledging the existence of an alternate me.

(Shakes head.)

There isn’t one. It’s all just a ploy.

DR. HANNELORE

Why are you telling me this, now?

KYLE

So I can go back out into the real world.

DR. HANNELORE

And why would you want to do that, if you’re afraid people are after you?

KYLE

(Pauses for a moment, considering HIS response.)

Though I know who is after me in here––and don’t out there––in here I’m alone. Out there, I have Maria.

(Nods, satisfied of the answer HE gave.)

DR. HANNELORE

(Begins fingering HIS small goatee, lost in thought.)

And how does that make you feel? Having someone out there, I mean.

KYLE

(Smiles happily.)

It makes me feel wanted––in a good way, of course.

DR. HANNELORE

You sure you want to go back out into the real world? For just one woman?

KYLE

Absolutely.

DR. HANNELORE

Why her? What makes her so special to you?

KYLE

I’ve been in here for five years, and she’s the first one to guess that I was lying about being schizophrenic.

DR. HANNELORE

Well, I’m proud of you. But what made you change your mind about wanting to stay here?

KYLE

I guess I just figured… Life just isn’t worth living, if you don’t have someone with you.

DR. HANNELORE

(Smiles, and nods.)

I’m going to let you go, but you will have to see me once a week, until I say otherwise. Is that okay?

KYLE

(Nods.)

Absolutely. Thank you, Doctor.

DR. HANNELORE

(Pushes some buttons on the phone, lifts it to ear.)

Victoria?

(Pauses.)

Hey, listen… I’m letting Kyle back out into the real world, so I’m going to need you to grab his stuff and bring it down here, please.

(Pauses.)

Thank you.

(HE puts the phone back, and gets off desk.)

KYLE

(Stands, and offers HIS hand to shake.)

I really appreciate it, Dr. Hannelore.

(THEY shake hands, and KYLE turns to go, and walks out to the waiting room.)

DR. HANNELORE

(Resumes HIS original place in HIS desk’s chair.)

((Once again, lights switch.))

VICTORIA

Oh, hello Kyle!

KYLE

Hallo, Ms. Victoria!

VICTORIA

So, um, here are your belongings. Congratulations on getting out!

(SHE hands a small filing box filled with clothes and electronics to HIM.)

KYLE

(Rummages through box, and pulls out a cell phone.)

Thank you, Ms. Victoria.

VICTORIA

(Shrugs off the thanks.)

Oh, don’t mention it! I’m just doing my job.

(SHE smiles, and turns to exit stage right.)

KYLE

(Puts down the box, and pushes a few buttons on the phone. HE waits a moment for it to work. Then HE pushes a few more buttons, and lifts it to HIS ear.)

Maria? It’s Kyle. I’m out.

((Curtain down.))

4 comments:

  1. Read the whole thing! <3

    I was actually in suspense! Well written if I do say so myself!

    The last line is a perfect ending. Perhaps the only comment I have is that perhaps a larger plot spike/tragedy is due, according to the cast of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Aiden, you're awesome! Incredible writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Aiden this is a fantastic One act! :)
    I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to read more, love.

    ReplyDelete